Are you print obsessed, but a little scared to make some bold fabric decisions? Maybe neutrals are just not doing it for you? Perhaps you want your living space to scream: statement. Well, patterns are a fool proof way of achieving that eye-catching look. Nailing fearless fabric combos is easier than you think. Read on to find out more…
- A blank canvas, is always a good place to start. When choosing your wall colour, we recommend a neutral background, as this allows bolder pieces take centre stage. So toned-down walls? They are your friend. If you’ve gone with patterned curtains or wallpaper, we suggest you chose block-coloured furniture to avoid clashes and ensure the room doesn’t look too busy.
- Be bold. Be Brave. Take the plunge. Colourful pieces ad statement fabrics are an easy way to add personality to your space. If you’re not sure what’s going to work, just experiment, and let your personal style shine through your choices.
- Test it out. Before adding a new fabric, get hold of a sample. Maybe safety-pin it to your couch, and live with it for a few days. Move it around to find out where it works best – a ‘trial run’ will give you the confidence to introduce permanently.
- Scale is an important factor. When layering prints together, break up larger patterns with smaller, more intricate designs. And if you want a print to stand out, place it on top of a block colour, like a patterned scatter cushion on a vibrant occasional chair.
- To avoid clashes, choose two dominant accent colours and try to ensure that they are incorporated in every print you use. These accent colours can also be incorporated into your accessories, like planters and wall art tie the room together.
2. Occasional Chair
3. Scatter Cushions
4. Wall Art
6. Fabric per metre